Upper Michigan Christian Home Educators (UMCHE) began in 1984 for home schoolers in Marquette County of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula by Jim and Lonny Janofski. Jim and Lonny are veteran home schoolers and continue to lead the UMCHE group; along with support from Jim and Ruth Hill and other area families.
This Christian-oriented group acts primarily as a coordinator for support and resources to home educators in Marquette County. This takes place mostly through the Internet. Click on the Event Calendar to learn about the two meetings we have each year, as well as, other events of interest.
UMCHE is associated with the Michigan statewide home schooling organization, Information Network for Christian Homes (INCH) and is Marquette County’s primary Christian support group.
Financing for the group comes from donations at the fall and winter meetings.
We recommend homeschooling families join Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA). Their website has the most up-to-date information on homeschooling in Michigan.
In the timeless words of the Deuteronomy 6, parents are admonished to love God with all their hearts and to diligently teach their children the words and ways of the Lord: “You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise” (Deuteronomy 6:5-7 NKJV).
HSLDA | Top Stories
- A Line in the Sand
- Your Phone Calls Did It! Oklahoma Governor Signs Bill Ending Common Core!
- HSLDA Defeats Demand for Involuntary Educational Evaluations
- Cosmetology School Drops Request for Homeschool “Registration”
- Attendance Officer Demands Receipts for Curriculum Purchase
- School Officials Threaten to Visit Homes
- School Cuts Off Route to Scholarships
- “Admission Form” Required to Begin Homeschooling
- Homeschool Graduate Almost Shut out of College
- Mistaken Paperwork Demand Lifted from Tutor