Upper Michigan Christian Home Educators (UMCHE) began in 1984 for home schoolers in Marquette County of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula by Jim and Lonny Janofski. Jim and Lonny are veteran home schoolers and continue to lead the UMCHE group; along with support from Jim and Ruth Hill and other area families.
This Christian-oriented group acts primarily as a coordinator for support and resources to home educators in Marquette County. This takes place mostly through the Internet. Click on the Event Calendar to learn about the two meetings we have each year, as well as, other events of interest.
UMCHE is associated with the Michigan statewide home schooling organization, Information Network for Christian Homes (INCH) and is Marquette County’s primary Christian support group.
Financing for the group comes from a few donations, but mainly from the Gordon Food Service (GFS) Fun Funds organization. A percentage of purchases at Gordon Foods comes to UMCHE when you use your “Upper Michigan Homeschools” Fun Funds card when you shop at GFS. To reduce the amount of printed paper used to administer this program, our group has a unique web address (specific to our organization). You can enroll online.
Printed forms, however, are still available through our local GFS Marketplace for those in our community who do not have online access.
We recommend homeschooling families join Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA). Their website has the most up-to-date information on homeschooling in Michigan.
In the timeless words of the Deuteronomy 6, parents are admonished to love God with all their hearts and to diligently teach their children the words and ways of the Lord: “You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise” (Deuteronomy 6:5-7 NKJV).
HSLDA | Top Stories
- Senate Defeats Anti-Religious Liberty Bill
- Your Phone Calls Did It! Oklahoma Governor Signs Bill Ending Common Core!
- Aspiring Teacher Told to Get GED
- Happy Homeschool Mom Hears “Not a Peep from the School Board!”
- Discrimination Issue Solved in Favor of Homeschool Family
- Common Core State Standards Rejected
- Foreign Relations Committee Approves UN Disabilities Treaty
- Federal Student Financial Aid Issue Resolved
- Senate Committee to Vote on UN Disabilities Treaty
- Senate Bill Targets Religious Freedom Act—Call Now!